This Cool and Creamy Keto Cucumber Salad is a family favorite year-round. With only six ingredients you can easily throw this salad together in under 30 minutes and enjoy it as a side dish with dinner or as leftovers the next day.
Summertime heat is definitely knocking on the door here in Florida. Soon the humidity will be so high that everyone’s hair will be frizzed or curled and sweating constantly if outdoors will be an everyday occurrence. When the heat settles in, I thoroughly enjoy serving an ice-cold salad as a side-dish to whatever form of protein I am making for dinner.
Ingredients for Cool and Creamy Keto Cucumber Salad
Cucumbers are a staple in most homes when gardens are in full bloom. Even in the non-growing season they can be found in most grocery stores year-round. I personally love going to our local farmers market and picking out a few healthy cucumbers, some sweet Vidalia onions and a bunch of dill. Literally half of the ingredients in this salad can be bought at a produce stand. Can you say healthy!!!
The first thing i like to do when making this salad is to give the cucumber slices a bit of decorative flair. After peeling the waxy skin off you can either choose to slice the cucumbers right then and there, or you can pull a fork down the length of the cucumbers to give the slices decorative ridges. You can see in this picture how to use this technique with the fork and the outcome.
One important tip when making this salad is to soak the cucumbers in some salt water prior to mixing with the other ingredients. Fresh cucumbers should be crunchy, but in this salad, you want them softened up a bit when mixed with the sour cream. Letting the slices soak in some salted water softens the slices a bit and does not affect the flavor of the salad.
After draining the salted water from the cucumbers, you mix in the sliced onion and the oil and vinegar. Allowing the cucumber and onion to soak in the oil and vinegar mixture for a few minutes encourages the tanginess to absorb into the vegetables. This is where the flavor in the salad comes from.
Sour cream and dill are the finishing touches to this cool and creamy keto cucumber salad. After 5 minutes has passed mix in one cup of sour cream and a few chopped dill sprigs. Mix all ingredients well then return to the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Although this salad is not very colorful, you can imagine a few scoops of it placed next to a seared piece of salmon or a chunk of grilled Baby Back Ribs (with sugar free BBQ sauce, of course)!
NOTE: If you don’t want to add the sour cream, this salad can be made with just the oil and vinegar as the dressing. Enjoy!
Cool and Creamy Keto Cucumber Salad
- 2 Med or Large Cucumbers
- 1 Small Vidalia Onion
- ¼ Cup White Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 sprigs Fresh Dill
- In a small mixing bowl, fill halfway with cold water and 1 Tbsp of salt.
- Cut the ends off of each cumber and peel.
- Gently place the tines of a fork against the cucumber and pull down from the top of the cucumber to the bottom. You want to produce "lines" in the flesh of the cucumber.
- Slice the cucumber into 1/4 inch slices and place into the salted water. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the cucumber slices are soaking peel and slice into very thin slices the onion. Set aside.
- After the 15 minutes is up, drain the cucumbers and place back in the bowl. Add in the sliced onion.
- Mix in the oil and vinegar and again let the cucumber and onion slices sit for approximately 5 minutes. Stir frequently to distribute oil and vinegar evenly.
- While the vegetables are soaking in the oil and vinegar mixture, chop up the fresh dill.
- After 5 minutes add the sour cream and dill to the cucumber, onion, oil and vinegar mixture. Mix well then return to the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.