Yes, you read that right, this is The Best Tuna Melt with Easy Dill Chaffle. Yes to Dill and yes to the Chaffle. Now, if you don’t know what a Chaffle is, you have been missing out on a true Keto delight. There are recipes all over the web for a multitude of varieties. For my recipe I decided to let the subtle flavor of dill (a great seasoning for seafood) add a kick to the eggs and cheese that make up the Chaffle batter.
So Exactly What is a Chaffle?
Just think of Waffle with a C-H. C for Cheese and I have no clue what the H is for. Or maybe the CH is for Cheese? Depending on the size of your waffle maker you will start with anywhere from 1-3 eggs beaten. Mix in a cup of shredded cheese (I prefer Mozzarella). Mix well then pour onto a heated and greased Waffle Maker. Wait for the steam to finish which means the waffles are ready then remove and you have a Chaffle!
In this recipe you want to add 1 Tablespoon of Dill chopped fine to add that subtle flavor to the Chaffle. Trust me, the Dill is not strong but is excellent with the tuna salad. After you take the Chaffle out of the Waffle Maker set it aside. You are not done yet with this little baby. Now it is on to the Tuna Salad.
Homemade Tuna Salad Recipe
Even more so than the varieties of Chaffle’s are the varieties of Tuna Salad. I have salad with raw vegetables, onion, celery, diced egg, mayo, yogurt and the list goes on and on. I personally prefer mine really simple (and quick) so all I add is chopped celery and mayonnaise. Since this is a multilayered sandwich I feel that the other ingredients are the icing on the cake per se, and the tuna is the filler. So let’s keep it simple. The tuna I used was from my Sesame Tuna with Amanda’s Easy to make Asian Marinade recipe so it was already cooked and ready to go. I knew I was going to use some of the tuna for this recipe so I left the Sesame Seeds off of one of the steaks.
How to Assemble and Cook a Tuna Melt
When your Chaffle is finished cooking and the tuna salad is made, you are ready to assemble and cook the sandwich. Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and place an individual Chaffle in the pan. Take 2 or 3 slices of Swiss Cheese and place them on the Chaffle. Take 2 or 3 spoonful’s of the tuna salad and gently press it onto the cheese. Cover the tuna with more cheese and place a lid on the frying pan. You want to let the cheese start to melt before you put the final Chaffle on. When the cheese has melted, place the second Chaffle on the stack, press gently down and again let the entire sandwich sit for another minute in the frying pan. At this time with a spatula, carefully slide it under the entire sandwich and with your fee hand, hold the top Chaffle in place. Turn the Chaffle over and let it cook again with the lid on until you see the bottom layer of cheese start to melt. When you see the cheese melting around the edges turn off the heat and carefully with a spatula remove the sandwich and let it sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The BEST Tuna Melt with Easy to make Dill Chaffle
- 1 7" Waffle Maker This recipe makes (4) 7" Chaffles
Grilled or Poached Tuna Salad
- 2 Grilled or Poached Tuna Steaks 1/3 Pound Each
- ½ Celery stalk Diced fine
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Mayonnaise Use enough to bind the ingredients
- 1 tsp Chopped Dill
Dill Chaffle and Sandwich Ingredients
- 3 Eggs Beaten
- 3 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Dill
- 6 Slices Swiss Cheese
Directions to Make Fresh Tuna Salad (2 Options)
- Remove from grill and cool tuna steaks.
- If poaching the tuna steaks, fill an inch of water in the bottom of a pot and place on high heat on the stove. Put the tuna steaks in the water along with a lemon wedge and cover the pot. Let boil until the steak turns white. Turn over halfway through cooking and continue to boil for approximately 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Remove the fish and cool before mixing with mayonnaise and celery.
- When the fish has cooled flake with a fork. If using the grilled steaks, cut with a fork or knife until you get the size you want for the salad.
- Cut the celery into small fine pieces. Add to a bowl with the flaked tuna.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well until all ingredients are blended well. Add salt, pepper and a splash of lemon juice to taste if so desired.
Easy to make Dill Chaffle
- Spray a waffle maker with non-stick Spray (PAM, etc.).
- In a bowl beat the eggs well. Add in the shredded Mozzarella Cheese and the fresh chopped dill.
- When the waffle iron is ready to use, spoon enough of the batter into the iron to fill all the grooves. Close the lid and cook according to the instructions for your waffle iron.
- When the Chaffle is done, gently remove from the Waffle Maker and set aside. Continue to make more Chaffles until you have finished the batter.
Dill Chaffle Sandwich
- Place your frying pan on the stove over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot place one of the Chaffle's in then put three pieces of Swiss Cheese on the top. Place a lid on the frying pan and keep it on until the cheese starts to melt.
- When the cheese is melted, using a spoon place piles of the tuna salad on the cheese and evenly spread it on top of the Chaffle. Since the cheese is in the process of melting, try not to forcefully spread out the tuna. It is easier to place piles of the salad on the Chaffle and gently press it out evenly. Place three more pieces of cheese on the tuna salad and again put the lid on and let the top cheese start to melt. Keep an eye on this while melting so the bottom Chaffle doesn't burn!!
- When the top cheese starts to melt place the remaining Chaffle on top. Gently, using a spatula and your free hand to hold the top Chaffle in place, turn the Chaffle over. When flipping the Chaffle press the Chaffle into the spatula to hold the sandwich together so it doesn't fall apart. Again put the lid on the top of the frying pan and wait for a minute so the to bottom Chaffle can crisp up. Remove the Chaffle from the heat and let is set for a minute so that the Cheese "tightens up." Cut and serve. Enjoy!